Keeping kids safe around electricity is important to Suwannee Valley. All year round employees of Suwannee Valley participate in school events to promote safety to children of all ages by various presentations and distributing educational material.
We all know kids have a natural curiosity that can deliver them into the hands of danger. Please take the following tips to keep kids safe in and outside the home while playing and exploring.
Electrical fires in our homes claim the lives of hundreds of Americans each year and injure thousands more. Some of these fires are caused by electrical system failures and appliance defects, but many more are caused by the misuse and poor maintenance of electrical appliances, incorrectly installed wiring, and overloaded circuits and extension cords.
Frayed cords are dangerous. Cord insulation keeps electricity in the wires, where it belongs. Regularly check appliance power cords and connections for wear; don’t use damaged cords.
Practice extension cord safety. Extension cords are only for temporary use. Never put them under rugs or furniture, as they can overheat or become damaged.
Don’t mix water and electricity. Electricity flows easily through water. Keep hairdryers, curling irons, electric razors, electric toothbrushes and other appliances away from water.
Keep your family safe. Keep flammable items far from light bulbs, heaters, or toasters. Install smoke detectors, keep extinguishers on hand, and have a fire escape plan.
GFCIs can save your life. Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs) cut power in time to previous serious shock. Use in bathrooms, garages, near kitchen sinks and outdoors.
Keep the holidays happy. Always turn off holiday lights before you leave home. Keep trees, boxes, and wrapping paper away from heat sources.
Don’t overload outlets. An overloaded outlet is a fire hazard. If yours are overloaded with too many plugs, consider having a qualified electrician install additional outlets.
Stay out of substations. If a ball or toy goes into a substation, children should tell an adult to call the power company. Never try to retrieve toys yourself.
Keep away! If you see a fallen line, stay far away. The line can be dangerous, even if it’s not sparking. Notify Suwannee Valley Electric Cooperative and 911 immediately.
Stay clear of high-voltage lines. Never touch or climb on these towers. Overhead wires and other tower equipment carry very high voltage electricity that is dangerous to contact.
Don’t dig near them or pry open. Transformers are locked inside sturdy metal cabinets for safety. If you find one unlocked, keep away and call Suwannee Valley Electric Cooperative immediately.
Wait in the vehicle for rescuers. If you must leave due to hazards, jump clear of hidden lines. Don’t touch vehicle and ground at the same time. Land with feet together and shuffle away.
Call before you dig. If you hit an underground power line you could be fatally injured. Before digging or moving earth in any way, call your one-call utility locater service.
Work and play safely around trees. Contact Suwannee Valley Electric Cooperative before trimming trees near overhead power lines. Don’t let kids climb trees near power lines.
Keep your distance! When carrying and using ladders and other long tools, keep them at least 10 feet away from all overhead lines.