Service for New Residential Construction

Welcome to Suwannee Valley Electric Cooperative!

Step 1: Establish Membership and Service

Before SVEC can provide electric service to your property, you must complete and submit an application for service. If you are not already an SVEC member, you must also submit a completed application for membership. Applications and additional information is available on our Start New Residential Service page.

Steps 2 and 3 below are also required to establish service for a newly constructed home.

Step 2: Meet with a Staking Engineer at your Property

The staking engineer is responsible for approving the service location. The member can choose to mark the desired service location ahead of time or have the engineer determine and mark the best location.

While on the property, the staking engineer will also identify the needed service line and right-of-way (ROW) paths. It is the member’s responsibility to obtain any required ROW easements and clear the ROW path to SVEC specifications before lines can be constructed. Additional easements may be required from other property owners along the path. Learn more about SVEC ROW specifications and easements. After they are cleared,rights of way must be inspected by SVEC. View SVEC Right of Way Requirements (PDF).

The staking engineer will also review the following with you:


Contribution in Aid of Construction

After the meeting, SVEC’s staking engineer will determine the member’s Contribution in Aide of Construction (CIAC) cost, if any. SVEC will extend its overhead facilities up to 1,200 feet along the service path chosen by the staking engineer, at no cost to the residential member. The member will contribute 100% of the costs associated with extending facilities over 1,200 feet along the chosen path. If the member desires a path other than the one chosen by SVEC’s staking engineer, the member will pay 100% of the costs (excluding the cost of the meter and overhead transformer) for the entire length of the path.

Note: The 1,200 feet allowance is for overhead single-phase primary residential service only. Line extensions for commercial service and service to RV’s, barns, shops, airplane hangars, pumps, etc. do not receive this allowance.

Learn more about CIAC.

Underground Service Line

Underground service is available upon request. The member is responsible for installing conduit per SVEC’s specifications along the approved path. SVEC will install conductor in the conduit upon approval of the conduit by SVEC and the county building department.

If you request underground service, the trench must be be inspected by SVEC. View SVEC Service Specifications (PDF).

Underground Primary Line

The member will pay a CIAC equal to the cost difference between overhead and underground primary facilities up to 1,200 feet, plus 100% of the costs associated with extending facilities over 1,200 feet.

Step 3: Provide other Necessary Items

After a staking engineer has met with you, the following items must be received by SVEC before the co-op’s Construction Department can begin your job:

Applying for Temporary Service

An applicant for temporary service is required to pay SVEC for the cost of installation labor, removal labor, and non-salvageable materials necessary to provide temporary service.