Every February, Suwannee Valley Electric Cooperative (SVEC) sponsors a tour of Tallahassee and the co-ops facilities in Live Oak for 10 high school Juniors from our service territory. While in Tallahassee, the students are introduced to Florida’s legislative process.
Applications for 2023 are closed.
- Tour of the state capitol
- Participation in a mock bill debate on the floor of the senate or house of representatives
- Visits to the Florida Supreme Court and offices of our state legislators
SVEC pays all tour expenses and provides chaperones.
To be eligible for the tour, a student must:
- Be enrolled in the 11th grade of a high school, private school, or home school in SVEC’s service territory
- Have an unweighted grade point average of at least 3.0
- Be a dependent of an SVEC member
- Must not be a child or grandchild of a current SVEC employee or trustee
Essay & Tour Application
- Students will be chosen based on a 250- to 500-word essay they submit on how cooperatives can reach out and engage with people of their generation.
- Essay and completed Youth Tour Application Form (PDF) must be received by SVEC no later than 4:30 pm on January 20, 2023.
- Essays and application forms can be:
- Emailed to our Communications department.
- Hand-delivered to our office at 11340 100th Street, Live Oak. Get directions to our office.
- Mailed to: Youth Tour, c/o Suwannee Valley Electric Cooperative, PO Box 160, Live Oak, FL 32064.
National Rural Electric Youth Tour
- Two of the students who go on the Tallahassee tour will also be selected to represent SVEC in Washington, D.C. for the National Rural Electric Youth Tour tentatively scheduled for June 13-18, 2023.
- They will be flown to Washington and join students from around the country on visits to sites such as the Lincoln Memorial, Arlington National Cemetery, Smithsonian, and Mount Vernon.
- SVEC will pay for the trip.