SVEC has awarded 10 scholarships, each worth $1,000, to outstanding high school seniors from across its service area.
In 2015, the board of trustees established SVEC’s scholarship program to support the continuing education plans of graduating high school seniors who are also dependents of cooperative members. Applications for this year’s scholarships were reviewed by a committee of SVEC employees who selected recipients based on their high school GPA, letters of recommendation, history of community involvement and an essay on why they want to continue their education and how the scholarship will help them do so.
“Consistent with one of our guiding cooperative principles—concern for community—SVEC supports the schools, teachers and students in the Suwannee Valley,“ says SVEC Board of Trustees President Tim Steichen. “While these scholarships give special recognition to a few of our area’s top students, we congratulate all graduating seniors and extend to them our wishes for a successful and fulfilling future.”
The 2018 Scholarship recipients are:
- Branford High School – Brittany Frye and Seth Reaves
- Columbia High School – Zachary Flugrath
- Hamilton County High School – Austin Griffin and Amanda Lacefield
- Lafayette High School – Krista Lyons and Leesa Price
- Suwannee High School – Kaleb Lane, Hunter Rode and Blake Tedder