Grown-Up Grilled CheeseSeptember 2023
America’s Test Kitchen
- 7 ounces aged cheddar cheese, cut into 24 equal pieces, room temperature
- 2 ounces brie, rind removed
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine or vermouth
- 4 teaspoons minced shallot
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 8 slices hearty white sandwich or rosemary bread
Process cheddar, brie and wine in a food processor until a smooth paste is formed, 20 to 30 seconds. Add shallot and pulse to combine, 3 to 5 pulses. Combine butter and mustard in a small bowl.
Working on a parchment paper-lined counter, spread mustard butter evenly over one side of slices of bread. Flip 4 slices of bread over and spread the cheese mixture evenly over slices. Top with remaining 4 slices of bread, buttered sides up.
Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes. Place 2 sandwiches in skillet; reduce heat to medium-low; and cook until both sides are crispy and golden brown, 6 to 9 minutes per side, moving sandwiches to ensure even browning. Remove sandwiches from skillet and let stand for 2 minutes before serving. Repeat with the remaining 2 sandwiches.
Note: Hold sandwiches on a wire rack on a baking sheet in the oven at 250 F while cooking the 2nd round.