Recipe: Old-fashioned Apple CrispOctober 2020
- 6 medium Braeburn or other crisp cooking apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter diced into small cubes
- Pinch of kosher salt
Heat oven to 350 F. Butter an 8-by-8- inch baking dish. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, add apples, sugar, 3/4 teaspoon of the cinnamon, and lemon juice. Stir to combine, then transfer to the prepared baking dish.
In a separate mixing bowl, add the brown sugar, oats, flour, remaining cinnamon, salt, and diced cold butter. Use a pastry cutter or two forks to cut the butter into the oat mixture until it resembles pea-sized crumbs. Spread this topping over the apples in the baking dish and gently pat to even it out. Bake 40-50 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.